Please excuse my sad attempt at a clever blog post title. I am running on fumes at this point in the day and may or may not be eating a bowl of ice cream as I write this (gotta treat yo'self). We spent yet another busy two days working on the Myrtle House this past weekend. It was the last trip for a while, so I am glad we got a few things checked off of the to-do list.
We were able to grout the master bath tile, which is quite a TERRIFYING process. Right after you get done putting up your squeaky clean white tile, you get to slather it with what is essentially black mud that hardens quickly. Luckily, we did get it all cleaned up and it looks pretty good. Last step in that process is sealer, and then we will be able to shower!
Another item on the checklist was re-installing the original front door. While I have thoroughly enjoyed the "custom wood door" that our contractor made for us, I was ready to get it out of there. Brian had mentioned that it makes our house look like a crack house, and I had to agree with him.
Clearly, it still needs some work. The original glass pane is cracked and held together by scotch tape, so that needs to be remedied. I do LOVE how the new outdoor lights coordinate with the door hardware. So fancy. I can't wait to paint the windows black and really tie it all in.
The hardest part of this door was not installing it, like I had anticipated. What took the longest was sanding this darned thing. I put in a solid five hours of intense sanding to get it in paintable shape. You should see my biceps now. ;)
While the door is solid wood and potentially could be stained, there were so many holes from various door knobs and patch jobs that we had to fill quite a bit of it with Bond-O, so we painted it instead. You can see the terrible shape it was in, and why it took so... much... sanding.
In case you haven't noticed, a minty blue door is kind of my thing. :)