Soon after we finished fixing up the Brooklyn House in 2013, we decided to rent it out and pursue the Myrtle House renovation. By renting out our home (and moving in with my parents!), it allowed us to save a ton of much needed moolah for the Myrtle House construction costs. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
My most visited blog post is our DIY Kitchen Cabinet project where we added inexpensive wood trim to our 1950s flat panel cabinets for a shaker-inspired look. After 2.5 years of having someone else live in the house (with a gigantic dog, I might add), I was very curious to see how our little project held up to the wear and tear of everyday use. Once we took back possession, I was quite surprised to see that it held up pretty well, all things considered!
Since we were putting the Brooklyn House on the market, we wanted to make sure the cabinets were in tip top shape. Some of the things we tackled were honestly things we were either too lazy or didn't think to do the first go around. Mainly, this was caulking and wood filling. We caulked the gap on the top, bottom, and sides where the trim meets the cabinet face. We also caulked around the inner sides of the trim on the door and drawers fronts. Lastly, we wood filled all of the nail holes and seams where the trim meets.
I don't know why caulking was so scary to us as new homeowners. Never having used it before, caulk seemed messy and easily screwed up. These days, caulk is my BFF. It is a powerful tool to make any carpentry work look professional and seamless. If you share our caulking fears, do not be afraid! It is WAY easier than it looks. You will be hooked, pinky promise. :)
Another issue we faced was the cabinet hardware was no longer taut which made the knobs spin under pressure. I think the screw holes in the wood became worn and loose. Brian added a small washer to the back of the cabinet door and this created a tighter fit. Problem solved! The last thing we did was slap a finishing coat of paint on all of the cabinets. Since they are painted in an oil-based paint, the white had yellowed over time. There was also some wear on the edges where the cabinets rubbed when opened and closed.
Overall, this trim has held up extremely well. Both our realtor and the buyers thought these cabinets were original to our 1909 house which is a HUGE compliment in my book. I have so enjoyed hearing from all of you who have found that post helpful. It is wonderful to know that our tutorial may have helped others find an affordable solution to sprucing up an outdated kitchen.