Really excited that July is here! Our contractor starts tomorrow (insert tears of joy) and from now on, we will see nothing but change and progress on our trips back to the house! We were actually able to accomplish quite a bit in June. Here is how we did:
- Finalize financing options* - DONE
- Create an electrical plan - DONE
- Create a to-scale floor plan - DONE
- Donate old clothes and household items - DONE
- One more trip to the dump - DONE
- Measure broken glass - still need to do this...
- Look into home owner's insurance - DONE
- Drop off item at Brian's mom's house - still need to do this...
Brian did a lot of work this month on securing our financing, as well as getting the house insured. It is tricky to get insurance coverage on a house that is uninhabited (especially one that is in such poor condition as ours) but luckily we found a company willing and we can sleep a little bit better at night. :) The last time we visited there had been a bad storm and the neighbor's house across the street has in tree in the front yard that caught on fire from the touching electrical wires. Old house + fire = catastrophe.
I bought software to try and create floorplans, but embarrassingly, I couldn't figure out how to work the darn thing and ended up hand-drawing everything. There were no instructions with the software and any tutorials I could find were in another language. I plan on figuring it out one day, but since we are in a time-crunch here, hand-drawing was my best bet.
I am really nervous that since we can't be at the house often while the work is being done that there are going to be a lot of misunderstandings. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make sure you and your contractor are on the same page when you live so far away from the project?
Ok, for July, here is what we (or rather our contractor...) are hoping to get done!
- Have foundation work complete and floors leveled
- Beadboard demo-ed
- Floors demo-ed
- Measure broken glass and FIX windows (need to do this!)
- Find old doors for master closet
Here are my favorite Instagrams from June! Happy July, friends!